Friday, July 9, 2010

Late Gothic Art and Architecture: England 1400-1547

1. I chose this video to watch for the simple reason it was the first one on the list of videos. I felt since i just read about gothic architecture it wouldn't be too hard to understand for the most part.

2. Some of the concepts I learned were:
-Gothic art and architecture was most prominent during the middle ages.
- People would come from all over to see the architecture and art, such as stained glass in the windows.
- Most architecture was built larger than in previous periods of time.

3. This video goes along with the readings from the text by the simple fact that chapter 15 teaches a little about gothic art and architecture. The readings explain about the transitions of art from time period to time period.
4. This video interested me a little. It wasn't as dry as I thought it would be. It helped that I watched this video right after I read about gothic art. This video was informational and a helpful tool to help understand things.

Cataclysm: The Black Death Visits Tuscany

1. I chose this video 2nd because it sounded like it might be more interesting than say...the La Primavera video.
2. The key concept I took away from this video was the concept of three dimensional works. I also learned about the history about the black death and how art was during this time period.
3. This video related to the text because the texts talks a little bit about the same artists in this time period.
4. I learned a good deal of history from this video. I think it was good video to show the history and the movement of art during that time.

A World Inscribed: The Illuminated Manuscript

1. I chose this video to watch at random. I didn't really have a preference of videos to watch after I chose the first couple.
2. Concepts- Monks were required to read and write textbooks. They had to work long days in silence making books to pass on knowledge. They believed sins would be forgiven for the words written in books. Schools were created at rapid pace in comparison to the production of books.
3. This relates to the readings in the text was about the printing press in chapter 15. The printing press is mentioned to replace the monks writing books in the video.
4. I liked this video. I found it to be very informational, as far as learning about monasteries and monks and what they had to do to keep knowledge to pass on generations.

The Drawings of Michelangelo

1. This was the last video I chose, mostly because I have heard about Michelangelo even before this taking this class. The text mentions him as well so i felt i could relate better.

2. I learned a lot about Michelangelo in this video. I felt the real concept was more about how Michelangelo was such a perfectionists in his works.

3. This video relates to the texts because Michelangelo is the one of the prominent artists mentioned throughout chapter 15 in our book.

4. I felt this video was the least interesting to me. It was kind of dry in my opinion. This could be in part because I was up real late watching it and just wanted to get through it while struggling to stay awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment