Sunday, June 20, 2010

Albright-Knox Art Museum


I recently visited the Albright- Knox Art Gallery on Saturday, June 19th. This was the 1st time I was ever at this art museum or any art museum for that matter period. It was an interesting experience. I wasn’t sure how the experience was going to be before going in though. I thought it might be really boring, but upon going there I wasn’t bored. There were some pieces of art that made an impression on me, some that I felt connected with and some that I felt I wanted to know more about.

The Three pieces of art that made an impression on me are:

1.) The Wolves by Franz Marc in 1913- This piece was done with oil on canvas. This made an impression on me because it was almost like a real habitat of wolves only through art. The longer I looked and the closer I look I saw more wolves other than the ones that drew the most attention to my eye. This was neat for me to look at and it left an impression because wolves are my favorite wildlife animal, and I always enjoy seeing them presented in anyway.

2.) La Vie Pay Sanne by Marc Chagall in 1925- This was done also with oil on canvas. This piece left an impression on me I think because it was so weird. It uses a lot of bright colors and contrast and I had to keep looking at it over and over again. It looked like a whole bunch of aspects of one’s life collaged into one piece of art but one where you can tell had a lot of meaning to the artist. Maybe growing up as a child and liking clowns and having a horse. It just gave off a very happy and friendly vibe that made an impression on me.

3.) Self Portrait with Monkey by Fida Kahlo in 1938- A piece of art done with oil on masonite. This made an impression on me because of I felt like you can feel the connection of the artists with jungle and wildlife. You can see the artists trying to put herself in front of jungle and maybe her favorite animal a monkey in her life.

The Three Piece of art that I felt connection with are:

4.) Saw and Sawed by Neil Jenney in 1969- This was done with acrylic paint on canvas. I felt a connection with this piece because it gave me a sense of outdoorsman type. All my childhood was spent outdoor playing some kind of sport, in nature, or camping. While camping I used to love being the one to collect and split the wood, which gave me my own little niche amongst those who went with us. This artist I feel is trying to give you that calm relaxed outdoor feeling amongst men, which I really felt connected with.

5.) The Wedding Ca. by Gari Melchers in 1892. - This was on canvas with oil and I felt a connection with this because this past weekend my older brother was married. This art piece to me resembles a traditional wedding, which was the opposite type of wedding my brother just had. It made me think about how beautiful my wife is going to look in her dress one day. I feel the days coming closer and closer and this piece just made me think about it more.

6.) Dianamismo di un cane al Guinzaglio by Gia Como Balla in 1912- This was also done on canvas with oil. I felt a connection with this piece because it reminded me about my g/f 5 miniature wiener dogs and how crazy they could get walking them. The dog in the piece looks small and playful like her dogs do. It looks as if it was out for a walk and got super excited as her dogs do as well.

The three pieces of art I would like to find out more about are:

7.) Kill Yourself by Nancy Dwyer in 1989- This was done with vinyl paint on canvas. I would like to know more about what the artist may have been thinking or going through at the time she made this. That is a pretty strong message to bluntly put into art and it really makes you think if there is a different meaning underneath it.

8.) George Washington and Three Indians by John Wesley in 1963- Done with oil on canvas. I would only like to know more about this just in the sense of history. I don’t really know too much history about anything unless it has to do with sports. I know who George Washington was but do not know his connection to three Indians so I guess it left me wondering.

9.) La Musique by Henri Matisse in 1939- This was done with oil on canvas. I felt I wanted to know about this piece because it seems almost like a sentimental piece to me. I’m not sure if that’s what is being portrayed in the picture but to me it seems like a mother and daughter creating a bond through music. I feel this piece can be open to a lot of interpretation and I guess that is why I would like to know more about it.

2 comments:

  1. I like that even though most of you attended the same museum, you have all picked a small variety of images. It is also interesting to see that your opinions of the image varied from the other blogs on the same exact photo. I also like that you included the medium in which the art was created on. For the last piece "La Musique" I think I would agree with it being open to interpretation whether it is a family relationship or if it is a friendship, etc. The answer is probably directly related to the era it was created in. I also think the pieces you connected to are very interesting, because as you had mentioned the "Saw and sawed" piece also reminds me of childhood but it is from the style, not exactly the image portrayed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is funny that you relate "Saw and Sawed" to "outdoorsman type" because I can kind of relate. Not necessarily on the wood splitting while camping part, but I do enjoy splitting wood ~ with a wood splitter, and stacking it; I also like to go camping. Another interesting thing is that when I saw the piece "Kill Yourself," I was repelled by it. Had I thought of it in the way you did and stop to ask myself "Why?", I would have wanted to know more about it too! I also stopped to look at the George Washington piece, but for different reasons. I was surprised at how much Washington's profile was similar to the 3 Indians.

    ReplyDelete